![]() As mentioned in the October 2019 On Your MARC front page story, "Fiddler's Convention celebrates musical legacy," numerous Rockingham County musicians are considered note worthy within the music industry. Learn more about them in the following article by Wayne Seymour. In the 1920’s, Spray Cotton Mills brought Otto Kirches, a German violinist, to give violin lessons to the children of mill employees. Instead of insisting on a strictly classical approach, he encouraged the students to continue to play their regional tunes. Even adults came to Kirches for lessons and advice. As a result, many local fiddlers, notably Lonnie Austin and Charlie LaPrade, displayed much better technique than was usual in country fiddlers.
Although this music is often mistakenly called “mountain music,” Rockingham County has been home to many musicians who have made substantial contributions to American music in the fields of folk, old-time music, bluegrass and other forms of traditional music. Their names are usually not known to the general public, but they are held in high esteem by musicians, not only in America but abroad. In the 1920’s, banjo player and singer Charlie Poole took his band to New York and recorded “Don’t Let Your Deal Go Down” and “May I Sleep in Your Barn Tonight, Mister?” This record sold 100,000 copies at a time when 5,000 copies was a hit, and 10,000 copies was giant smash. No classical, jazz, Broadway, or popular artist came close to that. Because of Charlie’s success, many musicians came to the area to work in the mills and to play music. Our county became a center for not only traditional country music, but for ragtime, early jazz and Tin Pan Alley tunes. A partial list of some early musicians based in and around Rockingham County in the 1920's and 1930's includes: Charlie Poole, banjoist and singer; Norman Woodlief, guitarist; Posey Rorer, fiddler; Lonnie Austin, fiddler and pianist; Tyler Meeks, guitarist; Hamon Newman, tenor banjoist; Earl Shirkey, ukulele player and yodeler; Lucy Terry, pianist; Red Patterson, banjoist and singer; Percy Setliff, fiddler; Buster Carter, banjoist; and Preston Young, guitarist and singer. In more recent times, banjo player Posey Roach (Eden) played with Flynn Rigney and the Virginia Partners; Alan Shelton was an influential banjo player with Jim Eanes and Jim and Jesse McReynolds, and he was a model for many banjo players all over the country. Gene Meade (Eden) set the mold for backing up fiddlers with his driving, spectacular guitar styles. (A recently released DVD of the Gene’s appearance at the 1964 Newport Folk Festival has hundreds of young guitarists trying to emulate his style.) Ruffin native Tim Austin was the founder of the Lonesome River Band and for years ran Doobie Shea Studios, a highly acclaimed recording venue. Kinney Rorrer, a native of Eden and grandnephew of Charlie Poole and Posey Rorer (*), is noted as a player and singer of Charlie’s songs. He is the author of Ramblin’ Blues the Life and Songs of Charlie Poole, a biography of Charlie Poole. Kinney hosts Back to the Blue Ridge, a radio program on the Roanoke, VA National Public Radio station, 89.1 FM WVTF, airing Saturdays from 8-10 pm and Sundays from 2 to 4 pm. (* note the difference in spelling) Doug Rorrer, Kinney’s brother, has been praised for his singing and his guitar work that echoes Gene Meade and Doc Watson. He has performed not only in the US, but in England, Scotland, and Italy. Doug owned and operated Flyin’ Cloud Studios and has produced many highly praised CD’s of old-time, bluegrass, and folk music. Doug’s son, Taylor Rorrer, performs professionally, sometimes with Doug and sometimes with other bands. Taylor is widely praised for his work on both guitar and fiddle. Ivy Sheppard (Bethany) of the highly praised South Carolina Broadcasters (who now live in Mount Airy), is well-known for her authentic fiddling and banjo playing as well as for hosting several radio shows featuring old-time and early bluegrass music. Dr. Don Wright, a dentist in Eden, is a fine banjo player, and has performed and recorded with musicians of the highest skill levels. He also plays guitar and banjo. Jesse Smathers of Eden is now the mandolin player/tenor and lead singer with the Lonesome River Band, having previously played with the James King Band and Nothing Fancy. His father Dave Smathers, played for many years with the Campus Tradition, an RCC based band. The family musical tradition dates back through several generations. The late Pat Smith from the Bethany/Monroeton areas kept old-time and bluegrass alive here for many years, playing every instrument in the band, although being best known for his fiddling and banjo playing. Pat’s sons, Terry and Billy, both continue to work in bluegrass. Terry played bass and sang with the Osborne brothers, and is currently with the highly praised band, The Grascals. Billy is a songwriter. His first cassette had 12 songs, every one of which was recorded by a bluegrass or country artist, an almost unheard-of feat. The Moore family from Ruffin has always played not only in family gatherings, but Jason Moore played bass with Mountain Heart and is currently working with the band Sideline. His brother, Darrin is an expert on the music of the Carter Family and plays and sings their music with great skill and authority. He is also an excellent bass player. Hubert Lawson and his family band, The Bluegrass Country Boys, are fixtures in the Piedmont NC area bluegrass scene. Mandolin and guitar player Ronald Pinnix, as far as can be determined, was the first person to record a flatpick guitar solo in a bluegrass recording. His creative playing influenced many local players. There is no way to verify the number of Rockingham County musicians who play regularly in living rooms and kitchens, on porches, in community centers and churches, and at area festivals. You may receive no public recognition, but you keep the tradition of “our” music alive. It is MARC’s hope that you (and your friends) will join us at Pickin’ at the MARC on November 9. It will be a time to share the love of the music, to meet and enjoy the talents of other musicians, and to jam with new friends. In doing so, you will help to solidify the foundation of Rockingham County’s musical tradition.
1 Comment
![]() Excerpts from the following document were included in the October 2019 On Your MARC newsletter. By Bob Carter, Rockingham County Historian The remains of one of Rockingham County’s oldest houses were demolished during the summer of 2019. The structure was located on the west side of NC Highway 14 near Town Creek one mile south of Bethlehem United Methodist Church. The old home had been known as the “Nancy Moore Place” for generations. The property was owned by Barnett Moore and his descendants from 1815 until the 1990s.
The building is believed to have been erected prior to 1815 when Barnett Moore purchased the 300-acre tract of land. The property can be traced back to 1779 when Thomas Young entered a claim for the land from the State of North Carolina. The property was granted to Young on 14 October 1783. A few months later, on 2 January 1784, Young sold the 300 acres to Andrew Fargis of Halifax County, Virginia. Fargis probably resided on the property until 1794 when he sold the land to Edward Williams. In April 1803, Williams sold the 300 acres to Francis Jackson who was formerly of Prince Edward County, Virginia. During this time span, a number of migrants from that region settled along Town Creek. The creek provided rich bottomlands that grew excellent crops of corn – the fuel for man and beast during pioneer days. These family surnames included Moore, Ellington, Forrest, Wesson, Hutherson, Jackson, Guerrant, Wells, Tucker, and perhaps others. It appears that some members of these families were members of the Methodist Church in Virginia and when they settled on Town Creek, they helped found two new churches in the area. Mount Carmel United Methodist Church became a class meeting in 1808 and was formally organized in 1813. Bethlehem United Methodist Church organized in 1835. Bethlehem was only one mile from Town Creek and the Moore family and other families living in the area became members of that congregation. Both church congregations are still active. Francis Jackson settled on the 300-acre farm on Town Creek. He built a new home there ca 1803 – the house that later became known as the Nancy Moore place. The construction and architectural style of the Moore house fits that date. The building was constructed of hewn oak logs covered with weather boards. (In the mid-twentieth century the exterior of the house was covered with rubber shingles.) On each end of the building were large stone chimneys. A portion of the rock used in the construction of the chimneys was quarried stone, which was unusual in Rockingham County at this time. The chimney on the east end of the house collapsed in the 1980s. The main body of the house had a cellar underneath with the entrance outside next to the east chimney. The building was one and one-half stories tall. The main body of the house was divided into two rooms by a plank wall on both the upstairs and downstairs levels. The two main rooms downstairs were covered by wide board layered in board and batten fashion. Access to the second floor was by an enclosed stairway in the southwest corner of the room. The two fireplaces lacked decorative mantle pieces. The board walls were whitewashed as was the style of the time. The doors in the building were also of board and batten style and the windows were six over six sashes. On the north side of the house, two shed rooms were attached to the main body of the house. By 2011, these two rooms had fallen into ruins. The nails used in construction of the building were blacksmith made “T” or rose head nails. A spring encased in a rock form in a nearby hollow furnished water for the house. Later a well was dug near the house. Francis Jackson became one of the leading citizens of Rockingham County. He was appointed as a Justice of the Rockingham County Court in 1807. He acquired 499 acres of land in addition to his 300-acre homeplace. It may be on the larger tract that Jackson owned a grist mill by 1807. The mill was probably located on Piney Fork, a large tributary of Town Creek and may have been owned originally by David Lovel, one of the pioneer settlers of the area. In 1811, records mention Jackson’s Machine Branch. It is not clear what type of machinery was in operation at the site. Francis Jackson married Elizabeth W. Childress in 1789 in Virginia. Nine children were born into the family with the last two being born in Rockingham County. The Jacksons lived in Rockingham County from 1803 until 1811 when the family moved to Williamson County, Tennessee. Members of the family became prominent citizens in that state. Francis died on 10 February 1845 in Rutherford County, Tennessee. Barnett Moore’s roots were in Chesterfield County, Virginia, but by 1803 he had settled into Prince Edward County, Virginia. About 1806, he moved to the Town Creek area of Rockingham County. He is listed in the Rockingham census for 1810. In January 1815, he and his son, Thomas C. Moore, purchased Francis Jackson’s 300-acre farm on Town Creek. Barnett resided there until 1822 when he died. He was buried on the farm in what became the Moore Family Cemetery. His graved is marked by a native stone with his death date cut into the stone. Moore’s will was probated in May 1825 and he mentions his wife and nine children. On 5 March 1825, Barnett’s son, Thomas C. Moore, purchased his siblings’ interest in the 300-acre farm for $600. The half-acre family burying ground was excluded from the sale. Thomas wrote his will on 29 July 1830 leaving his property to his children. There is no probate date listed for his will, but other court records show he died in 1833. Thomas C. Moore married Mary (Polly) Forrest, daughter of John Forrest (1776-1836). The Forrest family also came to Rockingham from Prince Edward County, Virginia. To settle the Moore estate in 1837, Thomas’s brother, John F. Moore, purchased the 300-acre Barnett Moore Farm. John F. Moore was born in 1798. In 1842 he married Nancy Worsham Tucker, for whom the house and farm are referenced. She was the daughter of David Tucker, Jr. and Nancy Worsham Tucker. Nancy Moore’s sisters and brothers included Patsey Tucker, Elizabeth Tucker Kemp, and Paschal Goodwin Tucker. John F. Moore was active in the Bethlehem Church and was listed as a church trustee on the deeds in 1835 and 1838. In the 1850 county census, John’s age was listed as 50 and his wife’s age was listed as 42. Also listed in the household was Sarah Frances Tucker, age 17. Sarah Frances was the daughter of Nancy’s brother, Paschal, and Sarah Frances lived with them after her father died. Sarah Frances married William G. Burton on 27 October 1853. On 21 August 1851, John F. Moore sold 60 and ½ acres of his farm to John A. Ratliff for $227.00. Ratliff (1823-1874) lived a short distance west of Bethlehem Church and married Mary E. Moore in 1846. She was John F. Moore’s niece. On 28 July 1852, John F. Moore wrote his will leaving his wife, Nancy Tucker Moore, a lifetime right to his now 242-acre farm and bequests to other relatives. John and wife Nancy had no children. John died on 9 August 1852. On 6 December 1869, Mary Moore Ratliff (wife of John A. Ratliff) purchased 2/3 interest in the then 242-acre Nancy Moore farm from her siblings. On 14 February 1880, the widow Nancy sold her interest in the farm to Mary Moore Ratliff for $200. Nancy continued to live on the farm until her death on 26 June 1889. She was buried beside her husband, John, in the Moore family cemetery. In so far as is known, no other members of the Moore family ever lived on the farm after her death. John A. Ratliff and Mary Moore Ratliff’s youngest daughter, Minnie Cate Ratliff (1868-1902) married James Doyle Mobley. Their daughter, Eloise Mobley (1897-1973), married her second cousin, Edward C. Moore. The couple had no surviving children, but Eloise had a brother, James R. Mobley, whose two granddaughters inherited the Nancy Moore Farm. Eloise had also inherited her uncle Jim J. Ratliff’s interest in the farm in 1937. Eloise’s husband, Ed, managed farm business for his wife for many years. The farm was rented to various tenants for nearly seventy-five years. During the 1930s to 1970s, the Robertson, Stratton, and Hundley families lived in the Nancy Moore house and farmed the land. By the 1980s the house was abandoned and slowly deteriorated. There was some interest in moving the building to a new location, but the plans never worked out. In 1999, the part of the farm that contained the dilapidated house was sold to a new owner. It was sold again in 2018, leading to the demolition of the property thereafter. So, after nearly two hundred years of ownership by descendants of the Moore family, the Nancy Moore house is gone. Valencia Abbott delivered an excellent program for Black History Month on the history of rice and biscuits. You view see her resources and slideshow here.
We wrapped up 2018's series of Genealogy Roundtables with Valencia Abbott's presentation about Oral Histories and Black narratives. Abbott has kindly provided her resources for the presentation. They can be downloaded below. ![]()
Today we gathered at the MARC for the second Genealogy Round Table. Led by Valencia Abbott, Social Studies teacher, historian, and presenter of the popular annual Food For Thought Program, this Round Table focused on resources for studying African American families.
Abbott focused on the importance of understanding the broader historical context of the world ancestors inhabited in order to aid in our search for information and to understand them more completely. Here presentation and resources can be found here: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1rfhGDSfEjPPBwIUNDRBnQDA3jBaQoeHuGWRNOaJqgrE/edit?usp=sharing Guest Blog by Fletcher DaltonMember of the MARC Board of Directors & Publicity Committee I untied the faded ribbon from a dusty box in my attic and found my father’s benefit review and medical plan from Washington Mills Company in Mayodan. (The company, makers of Spruce sportswear, sleepwear and underwear, was for years the largest employer of local people.) The benefits review brought back memories of my father and his years as a courier for the company.
![]()
Mrs. Leonard's Latin 2 class at Morehead High School made decorations for the MARC's fundraiser, the Ides of MARC. We were proud to display their clever, "punny" posters at our event and grateful for their help. "Our food is our flag...It sits at the intersection of the South, Africa, the Caribbean, and Latin America." -Michael Twitty, Culinary Historian ![]() A special thanks to our talented chefs, whose scrumptious dishes and sent us home with full bellies and plates of leftovers. We are also grateful to local businesses, especially Sophisticated Soul and Sheila's Cakes in Reidsville. Pictured from left to right: Jordan Rossi, Carolyn Flemmings, Valencia Abbott, Deborah R. Dillard, Cathy Scales, Janet Rakestraw, Bob Carter, Bonnie Brooks, Marcia Jones, Sheila Collins, Lamont Fields, and Daphne Roach.
From the Desk of Nadine Case:From start to finish we are blessed to have incredible volunteers at MARC! Because of their hard work and dedication, all of our events and projects have been very successful over the past year.
|
AuthorsMatthew Titchiner, Executive Director Archives
October 2019
Categories |